Contact us: +352 691 58 00 58
Country Tour in Luxembourg
Country tour with our English-speaking driver-guides that are at your service to enable an exceptional Luxembourg sightseeing tour experience.
Discover the Country of Luxembourg
Luxembourg is a small country (only 2568 square kilometers) landlocked between France, Belgium and Germany. It’s a very rural state with dense forests, deep gorges and river valleys. Most of the inhabitants live in Luxembourg city. Luxembourg is a very wealthy state, a founding member of the EEC (later the European Union). The Schengen area, the policy of opening borders between certain European nations, bears the name of the Luxembourg village of Schengen because it is here that these agreements were signed. Luxembourg has used the euro currency since 1999, when it was created. The history of Luxembourg is long and varied. Its foundation dates back to the 10th century with a small castle built on a precarious bank. Over the centuries, it has been repeatedly rebuilt and enlarged to become a reputed fortress. Over the centuries, Luxembourg has been ruled by a Roman emperor, the Burgundians, the Bourbons, the Habsburgs, the Hohenzollerns and even Napoleon.
Bourglinster Castle is located in the village of Bourglinster, in the center of Luxembourg, approximately 17 km east of the city of Luxembourg. Now housing a restaurant and facilities for business and cultural gatherings, the castle has a history dating back to the 11th century. Between 1969 and 1988, the consolidation, repair and restoration of the château and its outbuildings were completed. From 1982, exhibitions, concert cycles, conferences and receptions took place, and since the restoration of the barns, craft workshops have been operating regularly within the castle grounds. It can also be used to celebrate weddings. A renowned restaurant completes this offer for years.
The highest Nazi political authority, following the annexation of Luxembourg to the
Third Reich, preferred not to be established either at the castle of Colmar-Berg, or at the
Grand Ducal Palace, but at the seat of Arbed (current seat Arcelor Mittal). Returning to
the Grand Duchy at the end of the war, the Grand Duchess Charlotte no longer lives in
Colmar-Berg and moved to the Château de Fischbach until her death in 1985. After the
war, the castle was subjected to an important restoration process which ended in 1964,
for the accession to the throne of the Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, who settled there.
Since 1964, the castle has been the residence of the sovereign in office. After the
abdication of 2000, the Grand Duke Jean leaves the castle of Colmar-Berg and settles in
the castle of Fischbach, leaving Colmar-Berg to the new Grand Duke Henri.
The Colmar-Berg castle (in Luxembourgish: Schlass Bierg, in German: Schloss Berg) is the main residence of the Grand-Ducal family of Luxembourg. It is located in the locality of Colmar-Berg, in the center of Luxembourg, near the confluence of the Alzette and Attert rivers. The ownership of the woods of the castle of Berg was acquired by the Dutch royal family in 1845. King William II of the Netherlands, at that time Grand Duke of Luxembourg, bought the castle and the adjacent property in order to acquire '' an official residence on Luxembourg territory. The property was purchased from the Pasquier family and in 1848 recognized as the official residence of the Grand Duke of Luxembourg in the Grand Duchy.
With the independence of Luxembourg from the Kingdom of the Netherlands in 1890, the castle of Berg became the property of Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands, who sold it to her cousin the Grand Duke Adolphe of Luxembourg in 1891. In 1906, the Grand Duke William IV of Luxembourg demolishes the old castle in order to build a more modern one designed by the German and Luxembourg architects Max Ostenrieder and Pierre Funck. Work began in 1907 and ended on September 9, 1911. The crash of 1929 resulted in great economic difficulties for the grand-ducal family. Grand Duchess Charlotte of Luxembourg ceded the castle of Berg and the Grand Ducal Palace of Luxembourg to the government in order to keep public money at the palace. The grand-ducal family used them as official apartments as recognized in article 44 of the Luxembourg Constitution. During the Second World War, the castle was occupied by German troops, during which time the castle suffered serious damage among its most important works of art. For its part, the palace (in the city of Luxembourg), during the period 1940-1944, was used as an education center for Luxembourgish female students.
The house of Créhange, of a quality architecture was restored between 1983 and 1987.
The House of Hombourg was consolidated and restored in the years 1987 and 1988. In
addition to the restoration and consolidation work, extensive excavation and clearing
work was undertaken across the entire area of the castle. The data resulting from these
archaeological excavations will allow us to complete our knowledge of the history of the
The ruins of the Château de Larochette, located on a promontory of the Grés de Luxembourg, dominate the Ernz Blanche valley, a confluence of the Sûre, around 150 m above sea level. The access from the spur crosses a vast farmyard protected by an earth fortification. The main castle, built of ashlar, is surrounded by an enclosure which today is largely destroyed. A deep moat, partially of natural origin, divides the castle into two parts. At the end of the promontory, the remains of several stately homes attest to the quality of the ceremonial architecture of this castle. Since the acquisition of the castle in 1979 by the Luxembourg government, the historic Larochette complex has benefited from significant restoration and enhancement measures. Photogrammetric surveys carried out immediately after the purchase of the castle were supplemented by archaeological studies, still in progress.
The lords of Larochette appeared towards the end of the 12th century, notably as banners of the Maison de Luxembourg. Towards the end of the 14th century, there were five stately residences within the castle. The construction of the Maison de Hombourg took place around 1350, as a result of the alliance of the brothers Frédéric and Conrad, lords of Hombourg, with the sisters Irmgard and Mathilde de Larochette. The Maison de Créhange, in turn, was erected around 1385. At the end of the 16th century, the castle fell prey to flames and has since been in ruins.
Museum dedicated to General George S. Patton, Jr., Commander of the Third US Army, whose troops liberated the city of Ettelbruck on December 25, 1944. Various photographs, documents and authentic objects illustrate the German invasion, the depression and the persecution, and the liberation of Luxembourg in September 1944. The exhibition also presents the biography of General Patton and military archeology on the battlefield of the Ardennes and the air war above Luxembourg. The City of Ettelbruck is an ideal site for a pleasant and recreational holiday. Due to its central location in the heart of the country, it is through the picturesque city of Ettelbruck that the main road and rail communication routes run between the north and the south of the country. A tourist, cultural, agricultural and commercial city, Ettelbruck also offers you a large hospital center as well as numerous educational institutions. In the heart of the attractive pedestrian zone, tourist activities, numerous concerts and events. The Edouard Juncker Center for Plural Arts (CAPE) offers each year around sixty professional artistic events through a high-quality multidisciplinary program which is now very successful throughout the Grand Duchy and far beyond national borders. Memorial to American General George Patton Jr. and Patton Museum.
The National Museum of Military History in Diekirch tells, with the help of numerous dioramas rich in detail, the events around the Battle of the Bulge (1944-45). Visitors have an overview of the plight of soldiers and civilians during the fighting. In addition, the museum has sections reserved for the Luxembourg Army, Allied soldiers of the First and Second World War as well as the Korean War and our veterans. The museum has a large collection of military equipment, vehicles, documents, photos, maps, personal items, etc…
Locality located in a narrow and deep valley on the banks of the Clerve and in the center of the Ardennes with various historic monuments. In the heart of the Eislek, the village of Clervaux is topped by a 15th century castle, a Romanesque church and a large Benedictine monastery of Saint-Maurice and Saint-Maur built in the Romanesque-Burgundian style in 1910, dominates the valley. In the vicinity several churches (Munshausen, Hachiville, etc ...) whose architecture, furniture and frescoes are very interesting. The feudal castle, founded in the 12th century, stands splendidly on a rocky spur surrounded in a horseshoe by the houses of the town. The scenic character and natural location of the town in the Clerve River valley has made it a popular tourist attraction. The old castle, superbly restored after its destruction during the 2nd World War, is today a venerable witness of a prestigious past hosting interesting exhibitions including notably the remarkable collection of artistic documentary photos "The Family of Man". Largest photographic exhibition of all time, created by Edward Steichen (American photographer and curator with Luxembourg origin).
This monument is dedicated to the memory of General Anthony McAuliffe, valiant
defender of the City in 1944. Commander of artillery and "Acting commander" of the
101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles", it was he who on December 22, 1944,
responds to the surrender request of the German emissaries by a "Nuts" who became
famous ... The sculpture is the work of Mademoiselle Silvercruys, sister of the Belgian
Ambassador to the United States at the time. It was inaugurated by the General in person.
In 1947, Place du Carré was renamed Place McAuliffe. A little later, in its session of March
3, 1949, the Municipal Council unanimously awarded the General the title of honorary
citizen of the City of Bastogne. This General, with high human qualities and esteemed by
all Bastognards, died in 1975.
The American Mardasson Memorial
This 5-pointed star-shaped monument represents the homage of the Belgian people to the American army for having participated in the liberation of the Ardennes. The war has just ended as prominent political figures decide to pay homage to the American fighters on Bastion soil. It will only take them a year to create this building, a true symbol of American resistance on Belgian soil and the bonds of friendship between the two territories. The Mardasson is the project of several influential men who are part of the Belgian-American Association. This organization, created in 1945, aims to extend and develop economic and social relations between Belgium and the United States. Paul Van Zeeland, former prime minister, is one of the instigators. The Mardasson site stands out on the first proposal (near the N4 towards Remoifosse) because of its altitude (520 meters), its location (between the Rhine and Meuse basins) and its history (ultimate breakthrough of the troops German to Bastogne). On July 4, 1946, the day of American independence, a commemorative slab was inaugurated, a sort of first stone of the building (today in the center of the memorial). The site fittings were carried out by 40 German prisoners from the Poix camps. On the same day, an urn containing earth from the hill was symbolically sent to US President Harry Truman. The construction of the building began in the spring of 1948, 60,000 cubic meters of earth and rocks were moved. In July 1949, the structure and the platform which overhang the memorial are completed. The Memorial was inaugurated on July 16, 1950 in front of 10,000 people, including General Anthony McAuliffe. Very quickly, it became a stopover for officials and celebrities passing through Bastogne, King Baudouin, King Albert, Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Neil Asmtrong, etc ... Shaped like a five-pointed American star, it was designed by architect Georges Dedoyard to honor the memory of the 76,890 American soldiers killed, wounded or missing during the Battle of the Bulge.
The castle fell in 1890 to the Grand Duke Adolphe of the elder branch of Nassau and
remained the property of the Grand Ducal family until 1977 when it became domain of
the State. Restored since this year in respect of historical forms, the castle is today a
monument of European rank.
Vianden Castle was built during the period from the 11th to the 14th century on the foundations of a Roman castle and a Carolingian refuge. Castle-palace bearing the Hohenstaufen brand, it is one of the largest and most beautiful feudal residences of the Romanesque and Gothic times in Europe. Until the beginning of the 15th century, it was the home of the powerful counts of Vianden who boasted of their relations with the imperial court and of which the most glorious, Henri I (1220 -1250) even had a relative by the ties of the blood of the Capetians, kings of France. In 1417, the county and the castle were bequeathed by inheritance to the younger branch of the German house of Nassau, which, in 1530, also took in the French principality of Orange. The chapel, the small palace and the grand palace, the most remarkable parts of the castle, were made in the late 12th and in the first half of the 13th century. The district of Juliers to the west of the grand palace, now extinct, dates from the beginning of the 14th century, the district of Nassau was not erected until the beginning of the 17th century. In 1820, under the reign of King William I, prince of Orange-Nassau, count of Vianden, the sale of the castle and the decomposition into its elements led to a state of ruin.
A chairlift rising to an altitude of 450 m offers breathtaking views of the castle and its
surroundings. Nearby are the Our dam and the hydroelectric power station, technical
prowess to which we can pay particular attention.
This extremely picturesque site is located on both banks of the Our, in the middle of a magnificent nature. Its formidable feudal manor dates back to the 11th century. Cradle of the Counts of Vianden, passed on by inheritance to the Orange-Nassau dynasty and now in the domain of the Luxembourg State, the castle is a remarkable construction of the Middle Ages: a true architectural jewel that has no similar in Ardennes and Eifel and which was recently restored. A perimeter wall with its guard towers encircles the city. The parish church with two naves (Trinitarians church), built in 1248 in Gothic style (recently renovated), is one of the most important religious monuments in the country. The old Gothic cloister of the Trinitarians, dating from around 1250, houses a lapidary museum. The Museum of Rustic Art, installed in an old bourgeois house, preserves the exact image of the interiors of the 18th and 19th centuries. In the house that Victor Hugo lived in during his exile in 1871 are gathered documents, writings and drawings from his various passages in Vianden and in the country. A large network of walks, perfectly maintained and signposted, leads hikers through the wilderness of the Our Valley.
Born into a small family, Beck had a meteoric military career, which in turn brought him
all the honors. The Renaissance castle was inhabited until 2012 and opened to the public
a year later. The castle can only be visited during a guided tour, which takes place, in
season, from Thursday to Sunday, at 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. You will need to register in
advance for the tour, as places are limited to 12 people. Guided tours can however be
organized on request throughout the year. The visit includes residential rooms, outdoor
spaces such as the garden and the old distillery. The tasting of Cassero, the blackcurrant
liqueur still produced in the cellars of the castle, takes place at the end of the visit.
The old castle was built in four periods. The oldest part of the castle dates from the beginning of the 11th century. It was a modest fortress of square shape on a massive rock. It was surrounded by a large ditch and a second wall facing the valley. Towards the first half of the 12th century, the fortress was flanked by a keep and the access door was moved and enlarged. The wing which adjoins the castral well with the rooms above it as well as the lower part of the main tower to the south date from 1348. The Thirty Years War ruined the Beaufort house and the Lord of Beaufort was forced to sell his estates. In 1639, the great majority was acquired by Jean, Baron de Beck, governor of the Province of Luxembourg for the king of Spain. It was probably he who actually built the wing with the large windows on the Renaissance master tower and the artillery tower to the northeast. After 1643, he started work on the new castle in Renaissance style. The old castle of the knights, abandoned, has slowly decayed. In the early 19th century, it was even used as a quarry. In 1850, the Luxembourg State declared the fortified castle a "historic monument". In 1928, Edmond Linckels cleared the fortified castle as well as the castral well and made the feudal castle available to the public. The Beaufort Renaissance castle. Since its construction in 1649, the Renaissance chateau has, fortunately, never experienced great damage except for a few minor additions and transformations during the past centuries. It is the work of a great Luxembourger, Jean Baron de Beck, born in 1588 in Luxembourg-Grund as Jean Beck, son of a courier from Saarbourg.
The Mullerthal Waterfall with the famous bridge which passes over the black Ernz waterfall. Today symbol of the Mullerthal region, was built in only four months, between March 20 and July 27, 1879, by the mason Jean-Pierre Prommenschenkel of Christnach. The bridge was built with steam lime and sandstone. The wooden railing was added later and has been restored several times over the years. It is located in the heart of Luxembourg's Little Switzerland and it celebrates its 140th anniversary and is part of the cultural and tourist heritage of the country. Before 1879, the region was difficult to access and therefore dangerous for humans. It was said that the region looked like a virgin forest and it was nicknamed "Land of the wolves".
Often referred to as Little Switzerland of Luxembourg, the Mullerthal, or Mëllerdall in Luxembourgish, owes this name to its hilly landscape reminiscent of Switzerland. The Mullerthal is above all an exceptional biotope marked by rather surprising rock formations. It is the composition of the rock and its erosion that contributed to the creation of this landscape so typical of Luxembourg's Little Switzerland.
Hiking and Mullerthal Trail
The Mullerthal Trail takes the seasoned hiker 112 km through a beautiful hilly region. Dotted with rock formations with bizarre names, Piteschkummer, Geierslee or Huel Lee, to name a few. The hiking trails of the Mullerthal lead through fields and forests in the heart of an almost intact nature. In addition to demanding hikes, the Mullerthal offers a network of pleasant walks through breathtaking panoramas.
Mullerthal Culinary Discoveries
The Mullerthal also surprises with a rich cuisine based on cheese, honey and liqueurs. All these local products are available on the many small markets in the region. In Echternach and its surroundings, first-class restaurants compose their menus of refined dishes, to be tasted in the exceptional natural setting of the Lower Sûre valley.
Capital of the Mullerthal, Echternach is also the oldest city in Luxembourg and the historic and cultural center of the Mullerthal Region, Luxembourg's Little Switzerland has retained its medieval atmosphere, Labyrinthine streets, remains and towers of the old city wall as well as a market place with Gothic town hall puts visitors back in time. In the center is a museum of prehistory and at the edge of the lake not far from the city the remains of the largest Roman villa north of the Alps, with a visitor center and a permanent exhibition. In 2010, Echternach acquired an international reputation by the inscription in the Intangible Heritage of UNESCO of its famous Dancing Procession. Among the important tourist sites of the city, let us quote the Roman Villa, the Benedictine abbey of Saint Willibrord or the cultural center of Trifolion. Echternach is a city in Luxembourg with about 5300 inhabitants and the capital of its canton, along the Sûre valley marking the border with German Rhineland-Palatinate. It is best known for its abbey and its Pentecost dancing procession.
River Cruise - M.S. Princess Marie-Astrid
Aboard the M.S. "Princess Marie-Astrid", you will discover the Moselle valley from a new angle. With a total capacity of 500 passengers, including 220 inside, this majestic boat built in 2010 reveals a luxurious and elegant interior. Indeed, everything on board is designed for your comfort. Thus, while savoring an excellent gastronomic menu, vineyards, villages, hills and forests will accompany you as the waves go. And thanks to its large panoramic windows, no detail will escape you. In addition, when you embark, perhaps you will have the feeling of reliving the course of history, because it was aboard the 2nd MS "Princess Marie-Astrid" that were signed in 1985 and 1990 the famous agreements of Schengen. Regular trips from Easter until the end of September, and special races outside the regular service are possible.
Bernard-Massard is the main producer of sparkling wines " Traditional Method " from Luxembourg and BeneLux. In addition to its vocation to follow a constant policy of quality and reliability of its products and services, the family company of human size is aware of its responsibility towards its collaborators and its community and takes care to work in harmony with each other. After more than 90 years of existence, Bernard-Massard has remained faithful to the values and the entrepreneurial spirit of its founder Jean Bernard-Massard. It is with passion and through constant qualitative research that Bernard-Massard develops and markets each year beautiful vintages and great Luxembourg wines worthy of his expertise. Today, the company is the leading private producer of still and sparkling wines in Luxembourg with a total production of 4,000,000 bottles. Bernard-Massard’s notoriety goes beyond the borders of the GdL with a presence in Belgium since its founding but also in many other markets such as Finland, Canada, Great Britain to name a few. The trust of loyal customers and the numerous awards received in international competitions only testify to the quality of Bernard-Massard products.
With a limestone soil to the north and a clay marl to the south, it has been enriched over
the centuries by noble grape varieties which produce wines with delicate freshness and
elegant finesse, not to mention sparkling wines and the famous Crémants. The most
common grape varieties are in order: rivaner (alias müller-thurgau), pinot gris, auxerrois,
riesling, pinot blanc, pinot noir, elbling, chardonnay, and gewurztraminer.
The Moselle river is one of the main rivers in Luxembourg. It crosses the country for 39 kilometers to form a natural border with Germany. The Moselle lends its name to one of the most beautiful valleys in Luxembourg, renowned for its wine cellars, its charming hotels and its medieval towns. "D'Mousel", as its inhabitants affectionately call it, is also a region of traditions such as the cavalcade of Remich or the grape and wine festival in Grevenmacher.
Wines from the Luxembourg Moselle
The Moselle valley in Luxembourg is famous for its steep hillsides and vineyards. It is the cradle of great Luxembourg wines, mainly white grape varieties such as Riesling, Auxerrois or Pinot Gris. The hinterland of the Moselle is home to large plantations of fruit trees used for the production of fresh juice, liqueurs and Schnapps. Themed hikes, such as the wine route, are entirely dedicated to the discovery of this terroir. Viticulture in Luxembourg runs along the Moselle valley and is one of the northernmost regions for growing vines. It benefits from a micro-climate which raises temperatures by 1 or 2 ° C. Over 42 km, from Schengen to Wasserbillig, on the slopes of the river, the Luxembourg vineyards benefit from the South-West exposure over an area of 1235 hectares.
Remich, the pearl of the Moselle, is a small tourist town characterized by a magnificent panorama of vineyards and dense forests that surround it like an amphitheater. Located in the Luxembourg-Germany-France tripoint. On the banks of the Moselle, probably the most famous promenade on the river, invites you to stroll for 3 kilometers under the lime trees and cherry trees with fragrant scents. Inviting terraces, tastings of the best Luxembourg wines in one of the many cellars, a river cruise ... many activities for young and old alike await you. The historic old town, with the "Porte Saint Nicolas" in honor of Saint Nicolas, the patron saint of sailors and the church as a vestige of the fortress, bear witness to the eventful past of the small town.
The picturesque path leads from the European Museum to the nature reserve before
arriving in France near the wine village of Contz-les-Bains. Magnificent views of the
Moselle valley, steep vineyards, wide panoramas towards Luxembourg and Lorraine
and the wilderness make this hike a unique experience.
It is in the Luxembourg Moselle, more precisely in the wine-growing village of Schengen, which is undoubtedly the village best known for its European status. The reason for this is the Schengen Agreement, one of the most important agreements in European history which was signed on June 14, 1985 aboard the boat M.S. Princess Marie-Astrid. The wine village was chosen because it symbolizes the common border between France, Germany and the Benelux Economic Union (the first five signatories to the agreement). The Schengen Treaty then provides for the abolition of all border controls between 5 European countries united under the name of Schengen Area. The European Schengen Museum recalls the origin and impact of this agreement on the 26 states which are currently members.
Each year in Schengen, the end of the annual harvest is celebrated by the "Hunnefeier". With a flea and craft market of over 100 stalls, international street artists, an exhibition of historic agricultural tractors, with musical entertainment, pony rides, local and regional cuisine, wine tastings and crémants, and the "Fiederwäissen" of winegrowers from the municipality of Schengen, the festival offers an incredible variety of entertainment. The "Schengen grenzenlos" dream loop leads to the middle of the "Strombierg" nature reserve.